What is a Virtual Terminal?
To put it simply, a virtual terminal is a secure webpage in your internet browser where you can process card payments online. It’s called virtual because it works like a credit card terminal but is software and not hardware.
Within this web page you can process a payment by manually entering the customers card details, which you could be given over the phone or through some other way of chatting to your customer. Once this has been processed, the money will transfer from the customer’s card through a secure network to your preferred payment account.
Basically, you ensure you’re connected to the internet and you go to the virtual terminal webpage. Login, and enter the customers details, and the amount for the transaction. Press submit or go and it will magically work.
- You can take payments quickly and easily without the customer being present or the need for a physical card machine. As long as you have an internet connection, you’re all set.
- There is a lot of flexibility, and these transactions can be completed wherever you want.
- You will need extra security measures, as there is more risk to a ‘card not present’ transaction.
- These transactions take more work, as there is more typing required
- Fees can be higher with card not present transactions, as there is more risk involved
With Service Central, we can provide an easy to use solution with responsible rates, and not expensive rental. We can even connect it to your website if required, get in touch today on 0333 9969 334.